There are three very happy people in this house today after the election! Last night I had a friend and her daughter over and we were watching the early polling results come in. When it was time for them to leave and get Ben to bed he was begging me to wake him up with the results as soon as they called it on tv. I told him no, he would have to wail until tomorrow and that I might even have to wait for tomorrow depending on how close the race was. He was excited Barack Obama had already gotten 107 votes out of 270 (we had been talking quite a bit this past week about the Electoral College) and was hopeful Barack Obama would win the Presidency. This morning Ben woke up and said "WHO WON MOM?! WHO WON?!!!". I turned on the tv and he saw a portion of the speech and listened to him say that he thanks his supporters but the work begins in Washington and he yelled "WE WON! WE WON!!!!" No, he doesn't fully understand how historic this is but someday he will. I have explained as best I can for his age that African American citizens and women weren't allowed to vote for a long time because they weren't equal and of course he doesn't fully understand.
Let change come....
No comments:
Post a Comment