As I last posted Sam had a speech evaluation done based on his pediatrician thinking he had a speech delay. I received a call today from the state sponsered program for children up to age 3 and was told that not only is Sam behind in speech/language he was actually behind the 'norm' in every area tested. The original test was sent to me via mail and I had to perform the tasks asked with him, lead by example, or just see what he could accomplish from lists. I was dumbstruck and immediately started to panic that I wasn't doing my job as a mother. When the state representative spoke to me about the next steps we take I was zoning her out and wondering what in the hell I was doing wrong to cause speech issues in now all 3 of my boys. I snapped out of it and asked her honestly to tell me what his results were in more detail, she said ironically that his speech section was the one he scored highest in, it was the social arena that caused the most concern. She then went on to tell me not to stress or worry, that many of the questions were examples of actions that maybe a child hadn't been exposed to yet and that was completely normal.
Sam has been pushed through to the next phase of testing. It could take about a week to hear back from the worker that's assigned to him and then it will take up to 30 days to get the testing going and underway.
No comments:
Post a Comment